Monday, September 14, 2009

Under the Sea

Sunday was another early morning for us. I've been so excited for weeks for this day to come. I am one dive shy of being open water certified, but not for long. I began my life as a part-time mermaid/diver off the west coast of Oahu and was told not to expect the same kind of flashy, fishy show here considering the waters are completely devoid of coral reefs - the spot most fish like to party at. But that was okay with me because I was finally going to get to dive with my lover and partner in search of new adventures, Mike, who already has his advanced water certification. He's been waiting for me to grow some balls and finish up my own certification I started four years ago. Luckily, one of the guys at work is a dive instructor so he agreed to take a bunch of us out for an easy beginner dive. As soon as we began descent I was blown away by hundreds of white fish with black tails swimming towards us to welcome us to their world. Next came little brown guys with black spots all over, and what do you know, they even have rainbow colored fish here. Not bad for the first few minutes out. Next Mike spotted a squirmy thing that looked like a very large millipede scurrying across the rocks. Turns out it was a fire worm and stings! Good thing I like to keep my distance from eel-like looking creatures. The water was so clean and clear and I remember looking up to see the water glistening as the sun's rays hit the small ripples above us and then looking down as Michael swam beneath me face up, smiling through his eyes...ahhhh pure happiness. A few feet from here we spot two statues. They look like Greek goddesses and behind them stand a few rows of columns upright on the sandy bottomed floor. Now I'm totally bummed that I don't have a water camera to capture all of these snips of time, but then again, who wants to waste even a second of dive time posing in pictures? Not me, I want to keep moving forward, I want to look in all the cracks and crevices and see what is hiding in there, I want to see the light dancing on the waters and I especially want to see those eyes smiling as we float along.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Lysa! What an awesome retelling of a spectacular event. You deserve all of the seredipitous joy you receive! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I had to squint to decide if that was you or Tara! When I read your blog, I know but you are the same face

    ReplyDelete