Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Hybrid" diapers and being green

Our new diapers have finally arrived!! I always wanted to be that mom who saved our landfills from mounds of diapers, but I just couldn't take the leap to cloth. Now I am almost there. These new earth friendly diapers use biodegradable inserts, so you can flush 'em, compost them, or even toss them and they will break down in 50-150 days. I've even got some cloth inserts for those stay-at-home days and I'm working on perfecting my re-usable wipes recipe too. If you read up on the time it takes for a "regular" diaper to break-down you too will be appalled - I've read it takes anywhere from 355 to 500 years for just ONE to decompose...I am SO sorry Mother Earth for not doing this sooner!!

I've also switched over to using white vinegar, lemon and water for most of my cleaning needs and some good old baking soda for scrubbing. We pack school lunches in re-usable containers and buy as much as we can locally. Nicosia is already being "water rationed" so we are super careful with our consumption (they only pump water to the house two times a week so we have to be careful not to use all the water in the tank). Recycling is not mandatory here but we finally found info for pick-up and have noticed a few of our neighbors are now doing it too! I just read there is plastic floating in the north Pacific that is the size of Texas...TEXAS is huge...we have to stop polluting our earth today! Please tell me the things you do to put an end to pollution, overconsumption and waste and I'll compile it for all to share -

No comments:

Post a Comment