Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 4 - Food

Green and black olives right off the tree


Our fresh picked olives being prepared for jarring.

Today we are trying to eat locally which is fortunate for us as there are so many fruits and veggies in season right now. The tricky part is trying to avoid the packaging of so many foods. And Jennie is here for a visit so I don't want to starve her - not a very nice way to spend a vacation.
In the last week I had noticed many people picking olives from the trees so I thought it might be something culturally interesting for Jennie to try - while also making use of local food idea. I didn't expect so much enthusiasm...we ended up with three bags of mixed olives, then Jennie found a Greek Olive making recipe online and jumped right in. All the olives had to be separated, scored and left to soak for three weeks. I've had to promise - like a million times - that I will change the water daily and follow the instructions consisely since I never was successful at growing the pineapple Jennie started in Hawaii. Pineapples, by the way, take two years to grow!
And in case you were wondering, I am re-using the water that the olives soak in to water my plants. Jennie reminds me daily that she is still not generating any rubbish and is probably greener than me. I remind her that she had to take an airplane to get here, but then again, it was a business trip, so I can't fault her for that. And besides, I am really, really, REALly glad she's here!

No comments:

Post a Comment