Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Buon Giorno!

After years wistfully regretting not paying attention to my Nonna as she patiently tried to teach me her native language of Italian, I have signed up for an online course.  As it was in our home, very little of the language was spoken.  My dad only knew a few "choice" words and my mom and Nonna only spoke when they didn't want me to understand their private conversation, at which time my ears would perk up, but alas only the "choice" words stuck with me as well.  So far I have just completed the first two lessons and it seems  that although I never actually spoke the words, they flow from me easily and I am finding the meanings are easy to remember.  Albeit, it was just the basics, but I am feeling encouraged and excited.  Some may say that French is the language of love, but the passion and beauty of the Italian language stirs my soul.  I want to return to Italy and never utter a word of english while I am there.  I want to read the paper, understand the street signs and sing the songs.  I want to re-connect with my roots, my ancestry, my heritage.  I want to share it with my own children to share with theirs.  I suddenly realized that if I did not undertake this challenge it would be lost within one single generation - how truly sad a thought.  So forgive me if I bore you with my salutations of Ciao and Arrivaderci, but I've got a big job ahead of me right now.  I need to save some family history before it is gone forever.     Do you wish there are things you had learned but kept putting off?  As they say, there is no better time than now.  Get fired up and just take that leap, it feels great! Che bella e la vita... How beautiful life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment