Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Earth Day Cometh

You know, even though I'm done with the No Impact Project, I am still a tree hugging, water conserving, waste reducing fool.  Every day I see or hear about the devastation humankind has caused this planet and I am truly mournful for the damage, but there are definitely times when convenience trumps conservation for me too.  You don't have to be a superhero Green Earth Warrior every single day.  Just don't stray too far for too long when you do have to fall from the path.  Ex: you can't or didn't bring along your reusable water container for whatever reason, then be damn sure to recycle that water bottle when you're done with it.  My last two weeks of travel did some serious carbon damage to be sure - we flew three planes just to get to our destination (gasp!) and since we were warned of water borne illnesses with the baby, we used loads of bottled water and regular disposable diapers and wipes (double gasp!).  At first I was feeling really sad that all the hard work I do every day to live more gently was compromised by taking this trip, but then my feet hit the sand, my body floated in the sea and I remembered that the reason I do all of it anyway is so I can enjoy an unspoiled beach and sleep with the windows open to breathe in clean, unpolluted air.  So we used some bottles of water yes, but we also didn't request clean sheets and towels daily.  Shoot, we didn't even have a tv at the first place we stayed, and when it got dark, we didn't turn on the lights - we sat outside, under the moonlight and counted seashells.  In a way, the first five days were so low impact we may have redeemed ourselves a bit for all the air emissions we contributed - the only thing on the island was our hotel, so we didn't use a car, we ate only local foods and showered in barely warm water.  Okay, so the coldish showers weren't exactly by choice, but each bungalow did have a solar panel on the roof.  The entire hotel turned off the electricity for a couple of hours during the later part of the morning which saved some kilowatts and Mike and I did our best to support the local economy by purchasing many tropical and brewed beverages :)
We're back now and I'm using the G-diapers again, packing school lunches in reusable containers and hoping to find some fun events on Earth Day (two days from now).  But when another opportunity comes to jump on an airplane to the next horizon, I'm going.  What's the point in saving the world if you don't get to see what a good job you're doing anyway?
HAPPY EARTH DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment