Sunday, February 7, 2010

Do I believe in angels?

Without a doubt! But what about little white furry ones? Well, exactly one year ago today an angel moved into our house. All these years I’ve been picturing angels as cute little chubby cherubs joining hearts on Valentine’s day, or beautifully radiant beings with long white flowing robes and wings, and of course, my all time favorite – Archangels standing ready to guard and protect me from – well – anything I need protecting from! I never really stopped to contemplate the concept of angels in animal-form, but I am now convinced that I share my life with one daily.

As I write, he is resting right below my perch, close by, as he always is, ever faithful, ever present, and I swear I think he sleeps with one eye open to just to make sure he doesn’t loose sight of me at any given moment. Even when he goes outside to do his “thing” he stays close to the glass doors like a dutiful sentry would.
Its not like he’s a stalker though – he does like his play time and will run circles around Cadie and Max when they all hang outside – but for the most part, where ever you find me, you will definitely find Kimo. And as I said, I am pretty sure this little guy was sent from Heaven to watch “under” me as I was over him.

Here I was thinking I was the one who would make a difference in his life when I plucked him out of that dirty, smelly, overcrowded puppy pen at the shelter last year. You see, he was the runt, and all the other little puppies just barreled over him to get at the food. Survival of the fittest is what they call it, and I would just watch as he sadly backed inside the little doggie house and lie down on the blanket, knowing full well he was not going to get past all those big bully’s up front.

I was pregnant at the time, and certainly didn’t need to take on yet another responsibility three months before having a baby, but when I plucked him up out of that little wooden box I just knew I would never put him back down.

So here we are, one year later and this little Cyprus pup has brightened my days, lifted my spirits and given me more unconditional love than a person can ever imagine they could receive in one lifetime. I know that sounds so over-the-top and you want to say, “yeah, I love my dog and my dog loves me too,” but seriously, I think he is more than just my furry animal companion, in fact I’m sure of it. He is most definitely, without a doubt, my living, breathing guardian angel, who has come to spend some time on earth with me to laugh and play and brighten each and every day.
Luckily, it was a smooth transition when he moved in. Cadie and Max welcomed him like a long lost relative. Now that Arianna is here, she and Kimo have grown up together and play like all siblings do. They roll around on the ground together, take naps in the afternoons and sometimes like to share their toys. And yes, I have caught Arianna chewing on Kimo’s bone and have also caught Kimo chewing on Arianna’s stuffed animals, but the BEST part lately is that they can share her clothes. These days are, for sure, the most wonderful days ever! So keep your eyes out for those angels, you just never know who or where you’ll find them 

No comments:

Post a Comment