Monday, December 7, 2009

Time travel

I never gave the concept of time much thought but with our recent travels it dawned on me that I was actually a time traveler – how flippin’ cool is that! No, I’m not going get all sci-fi on you, but seriously, did you ever just stop and think about this whole time thing? I read a very thought provoking book a couple of months ago called “The Power of Now” and I walked away with a fresh look on now and what that means to me. It was actually pretty amazing to realize how much time I wasted in the future when really it is always only now that we live in. Luckily, I’ve never really been much of a dweller of the past, so all I had to keep reminding myself was to stay focused on the here, the moment right now. Of course, as soon as something that I considered could affect my future showed up, as it always seems to do, I was right back to the future in my thoughts but catching myself gets a little bit easier every time I try to stay focused on it, and soon enough I now realize that until that part of what I think the future holds catches up with me, there really is no point in projecting my hopes or unfounded fears. “Right now, everything is cool,” I say to the future worrier me, and then I tell that bitch to get lost – I don’t need her around any more, just the now me can stay.
Anyway, as I flew away from Cyprus time, further into my future last week (you still need time as a reference I guess) it dawned on me that I was going to be another two hours ahead of my latest time frame, which then made me realize I kept cheating myself out of a little more time which was bringing me that much closer, that much quicker to my next birthday. Hah, not something everyone can embrace, but again, it sat on my mind and my mind said, no biggie, but this time travel thing here sure is pretty damn wild. Starting out my life in NY “way back when” I began cheating time by gaining about six hours when we moved to Hawaii. Then I lost those six and gained another six when we got to Finland, stayed the same in the move to Cyprus. and gained another two in Abu Dhabi, but you know what, nothing really changed except the numbers on the clock. Which brings me back to that book, that now seems to ring more truth than I even realized at the “time” I was reading it. You can’t control it, you can’t own it and you can’t undo it but you can live it and live it fully and live it totally with abandon of the happiness or whatever-ness of your choice. The choice is always yours, its that simple!

1 comment:

  1. wow.... i need to get this book...so cool, and soo true...you should be a writer my soul sis love you xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxox tell me tell me about everything you did there please i want to feel like i was there

    ReplyDelete